Wednesday 14 September 2016

The last terra incognita stop: Dunkirk (a Pretty Post)

The translation needs to get done.  So here I am at 6 am in Westende, Belgium, and I am NOT walking the short distance to the beach to watch the sun rise.  WTF?????   I LOVE watching the sun rise from a beach.  What is wrong with me?  

Ah well. Time is pressing. That's also the reason why I'm completing this post 9 months after the fact ;-(






















Sorry Google Maps, this is NOT a cycling route (see below)








WTF?












Right after Frankfurt, Dunkirk is the air with the dirtiest air on this trip.  And I know why because on the Normandy trip in 2014, I cycled through the vast industrial area just upwind of here when coming off the ferry from Dover.





I'm up at 5 a.m.  Bloody translation has to be finished today.  


Here is something that smokers get for free and non-smokers might not get at all.  The early morning view of the skies. If you leave the hotel every 30 minutes, you can really see how the darkness recedes and the light creeps into the day.  





1st cigarette


2nd cigarette
And this 3rd cigarette was REALLY worth it !:
I'm not sure whether the fog had developed in the last hour or whether I had just not noticed it the last time around.




But it made this morning seem very strange.  Brightly coloured clouds in the sky and to my feet but a gray band of fog extending right through the middle.












Yes, there is a TGV from Dunkirk to Paris.  This is why I came here. My train leaves at 12:30 

No comments:

Post a Comment