Monday 26 January 2015

Hans has left the building (& BINGO)

There are many pictures of Hans in this post.  Most of these were requested by the subject himself (You'll be able to figure out which ones ;-)


Nice spatial rhythm and colour contrast in this picture




Apparently the crown sank into itself from its own weight after it was constructed
Not my pic (La Fiesta)
In the evening I will talk to Tanya & Sulema and they will tell the story of attending Sunday mass in the Cathedral.  As soon as I'm back to the computer I will discover no more mass times but I discover something else.  La Fiesta de Nuestra Senora de Guadelupe is a big deal in Mexico, second only to Cinco de Mayo festivities.  Starting on December 1st, all of Mexcio, including Puerto Vallarta, turns into a pilgrimage until December 12th.

Apparently every hotel in Puerto Vallarta sends a delegation to the Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadelupe EVERY DAY. It's a ZOO. It's Mexico.  I have to experience it and already checked out travel packages for December, which I will book as soon as I'm back in Vancouver.  I won't be a pilgrim in Lourdes, Santiago de Compostella, or in Mecca, any time soon, but this is an opportunity too good to miss.

The entire event is based on the virgin Mary appearing to some Aztec kid in 1531.












Not my Pic (Easter procession in Spain)

At the age of somewhere between 10 and 15, I attended an Easter Procession in Santaniy in Mallorca Spain and the strange hooded figures handing out  bone-hard sugar balls to the kids will remain in my memory forever.

Time to form more of those memories while I'm still alive ;-)
Nuestra Senora de Guadelupe
I have just laid eyes on the cathedral when I hear it. Those familiar chords or tunes or whatever they're called.  THESE ONES HERE CLICK HERE.  Even having heard Schubert's Death and the Maiden / Der Tod und das Maedchen numerous times, hearing it performed live in this particular location is special and I linger to listen to it.




Fjording a road

This is where the apparently fabulous bike tours of Eco Ride start. It's closed ;-( I will be back tomorrow.



Stair-climbing seems to be the best way of getting away from the tourists


Most of them, anyway ;-)
After an extended nap and dinner, the evening concludes by attending a Bingo game as the orchestrated evening entertainment of the hotel. Several in-laws of mine are determined bingo-players and I finally get the chance  to play it again for almost the first time in 40 years (At that time I had to shout Bingo for my mother in Spain, because she had not realized that she had all the numbers ;-)

Isn't it nice to have ONE day in Mexico with TWO references to one's distant past? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment