Wednesday 4 December 2013

The early bird .... (Day I: 5 am to 8 am)

At 4:30 am (6:30 am in Vancouver) sleep no longer is possible.  The ocean is making a heck of a ruckus and I can see white-capped swells coming out of the darkness and crashing onto black lava boulders about 15 meters from my bed.  I grab my Nic-stick and sit on the dark Lanai.  OMG!  Are those all stars up there?  After staring at the sky’s twinkling canopy for a while it ‘dawns’ on me how much Vancouverites really paid for cars and personal transportation.
Not a city; A cruise ship bringing shoppers to Kona 
Dawn MUST come SOON now, I keep thinking.  At 5:30 am, the horizon is still as pitch dark as one hour earlier.  5 minutes later I seem to detect that here is a tiny difference in the degree of pitch-blackness close to where the horizon should be. Could it be that the sea is slightly more pitch-black than the sky?

At 5:50 am I am showered, ready to go shopping for breakfast materials, and some hesitant sign of dawn has arrived.  The shoreline appears out of the darkness to the left and the right.

At 6:20 am I am at the supermarket in the mall.  It opens at 7 am, time for another drive and more pictures.
from the supermarket parking lot

From a rock in front of the hotel



that ship again


Back at the mall: grocery shopping accomplished
Then: FINALLY breakfast:
Hawaiian sweetbread, pineapple, and Octopus Poke ;-o


Can't really complain about the view

No comments:

Post a Comment