Sunday 22 September 2013

Le velo resurrected

Jet lag finally got its ugly hold on me.  I slept from 10 pm until 12:30 am. Yes, that's only 2.5 hours!  And then I was WIDE AWAKE all those LONG HOURS until breakfast at 7:30 am.  But I was not only feverishly and hungrily awaiting breakfast, but also the time when I would receive a key from the receptionist to unlock the garage of the hotel to move into the daylight a rather large & heavy cardboard box.  This box contained my disassembled electric bike that I rode here from Brest in July.

I obtained the key at 8:30 (I had a looong breakfast ;-) and the bike was reassembled at 9 am. The batteries were still > 90% full; gotta love lithium ;-) A few kinks like squeaking disk brakes were eradicated within the next half hour and I’m ecstatic to be back in the saddle again.

One of my first trips was to the local Intermarche to buy some Rose wine, instant coffee, and bread, butter & jam.  It being Sunday, the supermarkets don't have any bread, but upon my return to the hotel, my question "Ou on peut acheter du pain?" was answered by the lovely staff pointing at the bread left-overs from breakfast, pointing out that they would end up in the poubelle if I wouldn't take them.  And didn't I write a blog-post not long ago about too much food ending up in trash cans? So I stocked up.

Some pics from the bike rides:
On the other side of Intramuros

Plage du Sillon

Looks peaceful from here

Were Germans or French inside this metal bunker when those shells hit? You can bet they suffered at least tinnitus !

Who there?

Intramuros


Hotels along Plage du Sillon


Sun & Clouds reflected in the wet beach



If the rock is big enough to build a fortress on, it will have one built on it!

beach clouds again

Learning to fly

it took off and flew quite well (but what do I know about flying?) But top marks for grace ;-)

The posh end of Saint Malo.  I started pedaling very quickly ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment