Saturday 17 August 2013

Gone Fishing (plus a touch of Creek Daze and another Bear)

Saturday, the 17th of August and it is Creek Daze in Roberts Creek.  I've seen enough people in a daze lately, so at first I was tempted to skip the Daze. But Gerhard and David, who offered to take me fishing today, want to have a look at the parade, so we ended up there after all, fortunately.  Here is a picture of Gerhard and David.

Gerhard and David (Grandfather & Grandson) are from Germany and they're staying at the Stephens Creek Guesthouse for a few weeks. These two are into fishing, big time, and since I have never been fishing in my life, I took up their offer to come along and watch.











But first it's parade time. Here are a few pictures:
This ain't your usual parade ;-)

way cooler



Mr Roberts Creek 2013
When some of the floats start throwing candy, David actually has to be told to pick it up ! Poor kid didn't grow up in a proper Carnival town ;-)

Then it's off to Sechelt Wharf to do some fishing.

Since I am only an observer, I get to take pictures of the surroundings.



Arbutus

Looks easy enough ;-)

First indications had this as a Wels, but this baby has horns and Welses don't, so who knows what it is.
I'd noticed a First Nations man in a yellowish shirt and blue suspenders at the land-end of the wharf and from a distance it looked like he was carving BEARS !  I went to check it out and indeed there were quite a lot of gourgeously carved soapstone bear fetishes on the park bench.  The smallest one of them  insisted on coming home with me, the artist made that possible with a good price, and I had an illuminating chat with the carver Barney McLeod. (The link leads to an article about him in Going Coastal Magazine)

No comments:

Post a Comment