Monday 15 July 2013

On the road again II (Bad Godesberg to Boppard by train & bike)

After lunch at Die Bastei I walk to the bike to catch a train to Koblenz, from where I will cycle to Boppard.
To unlock the bike I stick the key into the lock and turn it. But not the whole key is turning, only the part in my fingers. The part in the lock broke off from the part in my fingers and is not turning. I stare at the broken key in my fingers. Oh Great!  What now?  I race back up into the restaurant.
The waiter in the restaurant points out the window at workers of the City of Bonn watering flower beds "Maybe they have a tool".
Race back down. "We only have hedge scissors for wood; they won't work!"
But he brings them. And they're the ones with the loong handles.  I insist that they will work and almost until the last strand of wire he denies the possibility.  He learned how to cut bicycles locks and I have a rideable bicycle ;-)  He is outraged at even the idea of accepting my tip!  "I don't want that!" he says, doesn't take it, and proceeds to wish me a good voyage and waves when I ride off.  Nice!

The train ride to Koblenz is uneventful and then look for the Rhine again to cycle the 23 km to Boppard, a city I know nothing about ;-)

Good cycle paths (except where they are cobble-stoned)

Rhine country


Castle country


Wine country



Boppard

No comments:

Post a Comment