Tuesday 9 July 2013

La Renard (The Ship of Surcouf the privateer & slave trader)

To get to where the ship would leave I had to leave the hotel. At 8:15 workers were putting up barricades.  Le Tour is coming today.  Coincidentally the home stretch goes right by my hotel and the finish line is on my way to the harbour ;-)  Gaudy advertising and gimmicky stuff abound. People actually take this doping spectacle VERY seriously.

One thing about the ship La Renard and its captain.  He and a woman (1st officer?) are the only crew on board.  Which means: To hoist the sails, the passengers have to spit into their hands and pull on ropes!  Now I know what the woman selling me the ticket meant when she said "You won't get cold" !

Pictures of the way to the port, the sailing, and the obstacles on my way back to the hotel (BTW: No cyclists of Le Tour had arrived yet by the time I get back to the hotel at 1 pm.)









Our ride ;-)


Thank God: No elevator !






To be continued with sails up ...








Prepare for boarding.And we have the equipment ;-)



WTF?






At this time I'm VERY glad that we're close to solid ground again, because ever since I went to visit the HEAD (the loo) below deck my stomach has not been the same. I was fine until I went below deck. Within 30 seconds I was close to hurl in addition to peeing. I did manage to suppress it, but there were some hurlers among the passengers (you're supposed to do that on the down-wind side of the boat ;-).

And if you want to feel what my stomach felt, watch this video:
ACTUALLY, THE VIDEO QUALITY HERE SUCKS. GO WATCH THIS VIDEO ON YOUTUBE INSTEAD. HERE IS THE LINK : LINK_LINK_LINK   (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I6WN2jjlCs)

Mon capitaine at work (the one on the left):


No comments:

Post a Comment