Tuesday 2 July 2013

Breakfast in Brittany ( Hansy Golightly?)

One of the meals my grandfather JJ and I always enjoyed immensely, were Pfannkuchen made by grandma. They were served with applesauce.  Now Grandma was born about 50 kms from the French border, so she did not really make the German Pfannkuchen (LOTS of flower), but what she makes should really be called crepes (Made with pretty much just EGGS)!  Now that I am stumbling across Brittany (How can a good bottle of Rose be so cheap ? ;-), I find out that one of the Breton specialties is "Crepes avec Pommes".  And you get them for breakfast !!!  What will be next?
Next of course are fresh Croissant.  By now I don't even bother putting butter on them. What would be the point? They probably already consist of 50% butter!  No, just some honey does the trick.
I am about to conduct an experiment inspired by the French love of Nutella. They must LOVE the stuff, since I have not seen a single breakfast buffet where the stuff was not present. I am about to bite into a croissant filled with Nutella!

chew. chew. ...

MON DIEU!  C'est BON!

Actually, I prefer honey.  Now we will try apricot jam. (Bon Maman, naturally).

chew. chew.

I still prefer honey.

A side note on Bon Maman Jam:  In France the different fruit jams of that brand all have different prices. And those prices range between ~ Euro 1.22 to 1.75.  Now why does exactly the same stuff cost > C$ 5-6 in Canada?    What a RIP-OFF! Time for a  BOYCOTT!

Anyhoo. I have some honey and jam left, so I think I'm forced to grab another bread thing ;-)





No comments:

Post a Comment