Monday 15 July 2013

Bad Godesberg (Memories of Bernd Koenig)

I’m sitting in the river-front restaurant Die Bastei in Bad Godesberg. The last time I was here was 40 years ago with my dad and I had ordered a Wiener Schnitzel upon which I had put waaaay too much lemon juice. The Wiener Schnitzel is no longer on the menu ;-(  On the way here from the train station I stumbled upon a street sign of a street that my dad used to live on at the time: Kronprinzenstrasse (Crown Prince Street).
The river Rhein at Bad Godesberg
All I remember about that apartment of my dad is that it was tiny and that he owned a musket (those things you load with powder and a stick ), which he proceeded to do one time and then he took a shot at a Pfennig balanced on the edge of a loudspeaker hanging on the wall.  Tiny room; firing a musket (the Pfennig survived unharmed if I remember correctly), but you can imagine that this ~7-year old was IMPRESSED.  Impressed enough to remember all this ;-)  On the other hand:  I guess I can’t be blamed for my wackiness: It’s obviously inherited!

Anyhoo, lunch at Die Bastei is OK (I was hoping for a Wiener Schnitzel) and the view is fabulous:
Die Bastei


A paddle wheeler !

No comments:

Post a Comment