Sunday 16 June 2013

Train to Greystones (or How about an 8 km walk home?)

At 1:30 pm I've had a cat nap of half an hour while the laundry machine in our 'apartment' washes my clothes.  Looking at pictures of the neighboring city of Greystones I stumble on pictures of people walking from there to Bray.

I caught the train. But just barely. When I enquired at the ticket counter when the next train to Greystones would leave, the clerk just pointed at the train already stopped on the other side of the train station. My quickly stuttered question "How do I get there?", was answered "Through the barrier (stick in ticket), all the way down the platform, use the bridge to cross the tracks". I ran. down the platform. up the stairs of the pedestrian bridge. over the bridge. Of course the people that exited my train seemed to enjoy the idea of blocking my way. down the bridge. along the other platform. When I was 5 meters from the train, the doors closed. Not really hoping for a result, I pressed the button next to the door.  The door OPENED!
I had to pass another barrier in Greystones to exit the train station.  Of course, I left my ticket in the barrier in Bray.  So I had to try sneak through the barrier together with another person, which is tricky since the barrier blades tend to hit the second person in the arms or elbows. But I must be getting good at this because I escaped the train station unscathed.  Only to run into this (Don't ask ;-)


































There was nothing exciting about Greystones, so I headed towards the 'Cliff Walk'. Unfortunately it looked more like a 'Fence Walk' for the first kilometer!
















After that it became better though. Although the distance to be covered seemed huge. My Hotel in Bray is somewhere behind that mountain.


Greystones is falling further behind until it vanishes from sight. The landscape and flowers keep changing.








Never underestimate the capacity of tight wires and inclement weather ;-)



When my feet are getting numb: A glimpse of Bray!


But no point in hurrying; Always reserve time to smell the roses!






No comments:

Post a Comment