Saturday 29 June 2013

Saint Pol de Leon (Flabbergasted German/Canadian tries to make sense of it all)

What is wrong with these Gauls?  Saint Pol de Leon has a population of 7038 people.  It is as old as the woods; it was founded in 5-hundred-something.  It has a cathedral built in 12-hundred-something.


But it also has a 'chapel'. NO. NOT what you're thinking. This 'chapel' is NOT a chapel!
The 'chapel' is the tower on the right!  On the left is the cathedral. I think the 'chapel' might actually be higher than the cathedral. It certainly is prettier. Here are some pictures of  the 'chapel':





My hotel window is facing the 'chapel' from two blocks away. Right now, the top of the 'chapel' is hidden in the foggy clouds. Not like any chapel I've ever seen! And not bad for a town of 7038!

But it doesn't stop there. I cycle by some other building and almost get thrown off the bike by the immediate action of my front and rear hydraulic disc brakes (takes some getting used to ;-).
No, not the churchy thing (a THIRD one, I have no idea what it is and Wikipedia doesn't explain). The DRAGON!  Isn't it COOL?



Then I go to eat.  Enough protein and carbs (Moules Frites ;-). I want a salad.  I order a seafood salad in a Creperie (they specialize in Crepes and Galletes).  This is what I get:

These are actually the biggest scallops & prawns I have seen in my life!  The potatoes in the middle are made with onions and bacon.  It was SOOOO GOOOOOD!

What is wrong with these Gauls, you ask? They are NUTS, these Gauls. And I fit right in ;-)

1 comment:

  1. The 'dragon' according to wikipedia:

    In architecture, a gargoyle is a carved stone grotesque, usually made of granite,[1] with a spout designed to convey water from a roof and away from the side of a building thereby preventing rainwater from running down masonry walls and eroding the mortar between. Architects often used multiple gargoyles on buildings to divide the flow of rainwater off the roof to minimize the potential damage from a rainstorm. A trough is cut in the back of the gargoyle and rainwater typically exits through the open mouth. Gargoyles are usually an elongated fantastic animal because the length of the gargoyle determines how far water is thrown from the wall.

    ReplyDelete