Wednesday 26 June 2013

Riding off into Asterix & Obelix country (c'est vrai !)

After I booked my hotel in Plouescat yesterday, my friend Uwe in Germany mentioned something about 'All Gaul is under Roman control. All Gaul? No, one small village of indomitable Gauls still holds out against the Romans' Sound familiar?  It should; it is the opening line of every single Asterix & Obelix comic book.
After a few e-mail exchanges it became clear that popular wisdom places the location of said small village somewhere between Plouescat & St Pol de leon.  And I'm heading to Plouescat today!  I shall be on the look-out for Roman garrisons & encampments ;-)



Another admission of guilt:  The above  picture (which will also serve as title picture for the next two days) was pilfered from the web (http://www.quadrimcast.com.br/2013/06/06/especial-as-viagens-de-asterix/).

But first I have to have breakfast!  So far my fingers at the breakfast buffets automatically went for the baguette and the cheese. I'm in France, after all ;-)  At today's hotel it is cut-your-own-baguette and I am lazy. So I went for a croissant, upon which I placed miniscule amounts of butter and honey.

OH MON DIEUX !  C'EST BON !!!

I take a ride through town, mainly to check when the bike store opens, and La Poste, and the Orange phone store. It is Thursday and everyone opens later today: at 10:00.  But on the ride I discover 2 things: 1) With a bike you get to see parts of town that you would never see otherwise, and 2) That gorgeous Brittany light can even beautify cities that are not that gorgeous otherwise. C 4 yourself:






No wonder people were throwing fishing lines into the water! But I suspect one yacht just cleaned its toilets ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment