Wednesday 26 June 2013

Le Velo (or This baby will have to get me back to Germany)

I did it. I bought a bicycle. At VeloZen in Brest. An electrical bicycle, which is all they sell.  The staff/owner/whatever was super-friendly and helpful, which probably also kept me from taking the bus across town to check out any other stores and models.  I took a test ride up the steep road from the harbour into the city walls and my mind was made up.  This baby is going to get me to Cologne.
 Naturally I am not only counting on the battery but also on the wind along the Brittany coast, which predominantly blows out of the North West, consequently it should be pushing me East.
I just picked it up at 16:00 (4 pm) and took it along a spin along the lower harbour area
. Then it was time to go up the embankment road. And there it was again: the baffled looks of people locked into their internal-combustion-engine-driven cages: "How the Hell is that guy making it up the hill so fast".

I also just booked a room in Plouescat for tomorrow night.  To get there I have to cross the Western peninsula of Brittany, which carries Brest on its southern shore (Brest is at the water, but facing south). Google Maps bicycle says that would be 44 kms. With the motor I should be able to do that in 2 hours ;-)  Easy for a 1st day trip.  From Plouescat it will be 244 km along the coastal road or 195 kms along the more direct bike route to Saint Malo !

No comments:

Post a Comment