Friday 14 June 2013

I can't believe I'm 47 (or I'm biiiiking in the rain, biiiiking in the rain ...)

As if yesterday's walk was not enough, I decided at 10 am to walk the 5 km to Sligo. I didn't really have a goal; I just wanted to go somewhere.







 When I got into the city centre after about 25 minutes I right away saw the Sligo City Hotel, where I booked a room for the night.  So I walked in to try to pay already in cash.
The two women at the front desk are AMAZING!  Not only did they give me a nicer room with a view. They sent me up with a key to let me check whether I liked it ;-)  Then  they told me i could move in right away (normal check-in is at 3 pm). I mentioned that I still had not checked out at the Radisson and renting a bicycle. Instantly they were on the phone to check with availability at the local bike-rent store. Having confirmed availability and a really low price, they explained in detail how to get there on a nice city map.  To keep a long story short: For 18 Euros I got a REALLY NICE Giant racing bike and a lock (instead of the helmet, which here is not compulsory yet); the owner did not even want to swipe my credit card as security; he photographed my Landed Immigrant Card instead! If in Sligo, go to Chain Driven Cycles!

I then rode the bike back to the Radisson, packed my backpack, checked out and rode the bike to the Sligo City Hotel, where I am writing this in my 3rd floor room with a view of the river and the ocean ;-) Just by riding the bike back to the Radisson and into town again, the rental already saved me more than 20 Euros in taxi charges !


No comments:

Post a Comment