Saturday 29 June 2013

A wee bike ride II (Plouescat to Staint-Pol-de-Leon [20/36 km])

St Pol de Leon? Where? Why? What?  The what:  right at the ocean with a 13th century cathedral built in the spot where one from the 6th century (!) once stood.

But first I have to get there. And I decide to stay as close to the ocean as possible, even if that means gravel or grass roads.  Why, you ask?  To see this all the time ;-) :


The geographically savvy will have noticed:  I turned the bike for better composition ;-)
In some areas the bike routes are signed perfectly, while in other areas I would have got completely lost without GPS & Google maps!



These people either were looking for signs or at the beach. In any event: they drove into the ditch and had already detached the car. Lots of pushing, pulling, lifting (un, deux, TROIS), handshakes and Merci's later, I'm wondering whether I should've pointed out that I'm German ;-)

Then  I see my dream house. There is menhirs right behind it and then just the sea; Too bad it doesn't have a roof ;-(



No pavement?  No problem!






h




Somewhere around this time, I decide that even if the bike were stolen now, it already would have fulfilled its purpose. Don't get me wrong; I'd hate to have the bike stolen, not least because I hope it will carry me to many more such spots. But think how many expensive bikes get ridden for a few days and then get shoved into a garage, from where they only surface for a garage sale, and that only if they are lucky. My bike lived a bike's life already ;-)








so easy to miss 

No idea what this village was called, but

they had excellent Moules au Curry, Frites & Rose ;-)


BIG old buildings; inhabited

TINY old buildings; not inhabited

I am 95 percent sure that these are real!

Sibril 

St Pol de Leon

Home for the night
Going along the coast and taking a few wrong turns (If the French don't allow bikes on a path, they have a reason ;-) extended the Google advertised direct route of 20 km to a 36 km trip, but it was well worth it.
Tomorrow I won't have that luxury, since Google tells me that it is 70 kms to my next hotel. Ou La La!


2 comments: