Sunday 9 June 2013

A visual ode to the Queen of Surrey (No, not a peasant opera ;-)

And if you ever heard me sing, you know you're darned lucky it is visual ;-)
And if you don't know who the Queen of Surrey is you should take BC Ferries to the Sunshine Coast more often.  The Queen of Surrey is my bus, namely the ferry serving the route Horseshoe Bay to Langdale on ~90% of the runs, with the Queen of Coquitlam doing the other runs (Doesn't Queen of Coquitlam sound even more trashy than Queen of Surrey?).  If you want to know how old it is, how much it weighs, or how many cars it can carry, check out Wikipedia; I'm sure the topics are covered there.  What is concern to me here, is the ship's visual interaction with the landscape along the travel route. Here is trip on an almost empty evening ferry into a mystical sunset:

Leaving Horseshoe Bay on an almost empty ferry

No cars in sight ;-)
very few cars means very few people!
Inside & outside






Mt Elphinstone beckons

framed seascape
the sun is low






At this time during the journey one of those moments happened that one remembers for the rest of one's life.
I am standing at the very front of the ferry, sailing into the view above. The wind is strong from the front; the air is warm. Beside a very slight thrumming felt through my legs, you can't hear or feel the ferry, almost as being magically pushed over water into the amazing scenery.  A woman to the left behind me is chanting something dreamy not very loud, so being upwind from her I catch little auditory glimpses once in a while.  A definite goose-bump moment; for a moment I feel I am standing on the bow of an Indian canoe 200 years ago.





















No comments:

Post a Comment