Thursday 30 May 2013

Good breakfast (or WTF? I'm actually eating at White Spot? )

White Spot has a certain place in my memory.

When Canada Customs & Immigration released this new immigrant into my grandfather JJ's hands 26 years ago (a story in itself), our first stop on the way to the home in North Vancouver was the White Spot in North Vancouver.  I can't remember the food. But I remember the beer.  If you order a beer in Germany and use the word Budweiser, the waiter will bring you a glass of beer that was brewed in the Czech Republic and is a dream of a beer that outclasses most if not all German beers. Suffice to say that I saw the word Budweiser on the White Spot menu, ordered a beer, and pretty much instantly became a convinced wine drinker ;-)

There were three occasions in the following years where I went to White Spot, consumed some of their Coal  Slaw, and was rewarded by instant diarrhea.  So not being too much of a masochist, I started making wide circles around any threatening White Spots that I saw.

Until a few days ago when I ended up starving at the White Spot attached to the Coast Hotel at Oak Street and SW Marine Drive in South Vancouver.  I ordered a Hearty Breakfast (NO, it's not good for the heart but the included bacon and sausages are yummy ;-) and when asked whether I wanted pancakes, toast, or French toast, I chose the latter. When subsequently asked whether I wanted Blueberry or Strawberry Syrup with that I went for Blueberry.  What arrived was Yummy Blueberries in sauce and in a quantity sufficient to fill a Miso soup bowl at any Sushi place.  The French toast and Blueberries does not even carry an extra charge.  Was it good you ask?  I went back two more times just for that breakfast (not on the same morning though ;-) All three times I had to leave the potatoes on the plate (Despite their horrible name of Smashbrowns (TM) (and I am not kidding; they actually trademarked that ugly name ;-) they are actually quite good but my stomach was just too full)
Now if they only would serve Americano instead of drip coffee ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment