Sunday 5 May 2013

Aerial views from a DeHavilland Beaver and air-cushioned drawers

It has been a while since I've been on a plane, so what better way to fix that on this sunny day by taking Harbour Air from Richmond to Sechelt again ;-)  Some visual impressions from a high view point:


The Grand Metropolis of Roberts Creek:













 And I thought there was just a Canadian Tire at the road side !



The south end of Davis Bay:




















Sechelt's Great Gravel Pit:



























Now why is the plane flying at this scary angle over Porpoise Bay?















Being the only passenger in the 50s-Chevy-style-rear bench, I have a relaxing view of this: We're going down!























Denise & Max are there to pick me up (Thank you again!).

The time between 1pm and 6pm was pretty much elusively occupied by eating and sleeping.

At 6 pm, D&H took me to an exhibition at the Inside Passage School of Fine Cabinet Making in Roberts Creek. 1st and 2nd year students were exhibiting their creations. Apparently tuition for one year amounts to C$16,000 but after looking at the pieces exhibited by the students, that is almost cheap!  My attention was instantly captivated after I opened and closed a drawer of this piece by this student by the name of Eupho Kubota.
The cushioning or resistance of the drawer pull was magical. I had never experienced anything like it.  After spending more time opening and closing the drawers (people probably thought I had a drawer fetish), I finally figured it out. The drawers were finished to have very precise tolerances to the surrounding piece of furniture and the air behind the drawer had to escape around the drawer to the front when I pushed the drawer in. Because the spaces available for the air to escape were so small, this resulted in a nice cushioned feeling.  The same was true when pulling the drawer out, i.e. the pull created a vacuum behind the drawer that was filled by air only slowly.  Every drawer should be built like that!
There were many other gorgeous pieces of furniture on display, just no others with magical drawers ;-)








After that it was a race to the ferry, because yours truly had a brain fart calculating how much of the operating delay the ferry would be able to make up on this trip. Let's just say the BC Ferries employee wasn't lying when he said "You are lucky!" and closed the passenger gate right behind me ;-)

Lucky I was also to see this light on Howe Sound.  I think I almost don't have to travel to Guilin now ;-)






And yes, there STILL is snow on those peaks just behind Horseshoe Bay:















No comments:

Post a Comment