Monday 15 April 2013

Welcome back, Sir (or Willkommen in Hongkong)

My last post half a day and half a world away seems like I posted it last century.  The above greeting I received from the bus boys at the hotel when getting out of my taxi cab.









Passengers at the gate 20 minutes before take-off time

The Cathay Pacific direct flight to Hong Kong was so empty that we cheap passengers had a choice of which 3 seater we would choose for our sleep.  People in business class and first class were not so lucky; they had the next person within 1 meter proximity.  I believe I broke my sleep record of 10 hours on the last plane ride here.








The plane docked at 8:30 pm after landing at 8:20 pm.  At 9:35 pm I was in my hotel room, after completing the long walk through the airport, immigration, customs, bank machine, Octopus card reloading, Airport express (half hour journey, but I'm not sure because I fell asleep again), taxi ride to the hotel, and hotel check-in.

The hotel restaurant is open until 11pm, and even though I did manage to eat plenty on the plane during brief periods of consciousness, I'll pop down there (If you reserve a smoking room, they put you on the 23rd floor ;-) and then maybe sleep some more.

Even though I have lived in hotels, motels, and B&Bs since last July 31st, entering none of the rooms ever felt like today (Sunshine coast & Grouse Inn came very close): I wish I could stay in this room and in this city, because it feels like coming home. I think the balmy 24 degrees Celsius outside have a lot to do with that ;-).

Tomorrow I think I'll do an easy program of old favourites:  The Peak Tram and the Star Ferry.  

1 Canadian $ buys me 7.6 Hong Kong $s.  No reason to splurge though: Since despite the promises, the hotel restaurant was closed, I went across the street to a Circle K store and bought some items:

Cup Noodles (seafood curry)  2 for HK$ 16.5
A mini bottle of red wine for HK$ 23  (The bottle is plastic and the wine is great)

Dinner is served for HK$ 32  ( $4.20 CDN including wine).  Did I mention that I like it here?  Dotsche Hong Kong!




No comments:

Post a Comment