Tuesday 16 April 2013

Tuesday 14:00 to 17:00 (Star Ferry)

This is why I came here last May! The things that dreams are made of by The Human League

Dream life the way you think it ought to be
See things you thought you'd never ever see

Take a cruise to China, or a train to Spain ....

I'm still working on the train to Spain, but at the time it seemed that the Star Ferry from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon (which is attached to China) would qualify. Time to do it again!

A walk along Des Voeux Road on the way to Central carries me past the Watch Store where last May I bought 30 leather watch bands for CDN 2.50 a band. In Canada they would cost ~$15 per band, and
buying them on eBay would cut that to $7.  Only in the last few months have offers of $5/band including shipping from China surfaced, but I still have to try these.  Anyhoo, it is not the size of the store that is important ;-)




This picture should make it clear to everyone where all those expensive Swiss watches go these days ;-)























In Vancouver they'd have at least one lane closed claiming safety reasons. (No, it is not closed: One drives on the other side of the road here ;-)














Finally: On board a Star Ferry!
















And regular readers of this Blog have seen the warning signs: Chris discovered the Panorama Button ;-)


Another Star Ferry! 















OMG! WTF is that?
Must have hidden in the fog this morning!

Whatever it is, it attracts a huge crowd with cameras.   At first I thought it was a slightly rusty display of power from the Mainland, but then I thought the lack of smiles in the crowds was a bit unpatriotic.






The view of the banner explained it all. No running away from North Korea or Boston! At least this explains the surprisingly large number of youngish loud English-speakers with very very shiny shoes! 
With my mood drastically changed by the view of this giant killing machine, I took another Star Ferry to Wai Chan, then took the MTR as close to the hotel as possible, to write this and catch some sleep.








Hopefully the following pictures will cheer me up a bit after I wake up.
















No comments:

Post a Comment