Thursday 18 April 2013

This is all Junk! (built in 1955 and it's called Duk Ling [peking duck anyone?])

This week I got a spare battery for my camera.  And today I was glad that I had shown that foresight, because for some reason I started taking a lot of junk pictures after 17:00. And halfway through those junk pictures the camera battery was empty!  Here are the first junk pictures:











 Fun, eh?













How about a change of point of view?







At this point I am the only one of the passengers on deck, getting drenched in the pouring rain (at 25 degrees Celsius), because I happen to believe that some things are worth getting wet for ;-) 

I shall be the only one on deck for another 10 minutes. One can not see the sail from where the others are. Are they going to stay down there?  Who is the crazy party here?







Here is all you need to do to get on this boat: 
Be in Hong Kong on a Thursday (hourly departures from 2pm to 5pm) or Saturday (hourly departures from 10am to 1pm).

Get your ticked in advance (I got mine on Tuesday). For this you have to make our way down to the Kowloon Star Ferry Concourse (or to The Peak). 
Present a foreign passport and 100 $HK.
 Here is relevant Duk Ling web-page of the HK Tourism Board that operates the junk.
 Added May 2, 2014:  The above web-site no longer exists, since apparently the Duk Ling cruises operated by the HK Tourism Board have been discontinued as of March 30, 2014.  This news makes me quite sad, since I had hoped that Hong Kong was immune to this kind of 'progress'.




The rain slowed down, the tour accompany person (female) came up, and offered to take a picture of me.
I am wet but happy ;-)












I'll illustrate the rest of the trip with pictures:

Busy reclaiming land
American who is angry to pay taxes to pay for aircraft carrier to protect Hong Kong from North Korean aggression
Tour guide (in white) explains to American that world is indeed flat
North Point
    
Is that a boat ram? !$#$?
Kowloon
 
Statue of most famous HK person with last name LEE
 
getting down the sails

OF COURSE they stay down once the tourist are gone. There is a MOTOR!



















No comments:

Post a Comment