Tuesday 2 April 2013

Signs of the times (Aufbruch oder Untergang?)

The news that this blog has a subscriber caused instant writing blog.    My  laptop died and was instantly replaced by a more lightweight one daring me to take it travelling.  A ~75 year old client of mine, who spent most of his life as a commercial real estate agent in Vancouver and whose opinions I highly respect, this morning agreed with me that there is something disturbingly wrong in Vancouver, but he couldn't put his finger on what exactly it is.  At 0:45 this morning I received a phone call inquiring  how much I charge per hour, and the male caller did not mean translating. Restaurant food is no longer subject to HST.  Young and attractive cleaning staff at my motel last week misunderstood my comment "you could get paid for not cleaning"  in connection to my question whether it would be better for them if I didn't tell the front desk that I don't want want cleaning service on a particular day, in a flattering but at the moment unwelcome way. My friend Yiman yesterday left for China to visit her parents. The pre-paid period in my motel expires on Thursday. Babylon brought about its demise by building a tower.  I can't decide whether Vancouver is better described as a giant ant hill where one morning all of the ants forget what they are supposed to be doing or as a place where people have been busy busy busy building a tower and now everyone is nervously looking over their shoulders.

If anyone can make sense of this stream of consciousness, please let me know, because I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment