Monday 22 April 2013

Reflections (or Kennedy town, HK buses, Mong Kok, Kowloon Park & Waterfront, Star Ferry)

All of this happened on the 18th, but I'm falling behind with posting (also got to walk and sleep!). So here it is (still incomplete) on the 23rd ;-) Enjoy.

At 6:30 (The hotel breakfast is still closed), I decide to take the double-Decker TRAM the OTHER way, to Kennedy Town, terra incognita. Here are some samples with comments in the captions:
I know what it looks like ...


... but THIS AIN'T  'THE PROJECTS'!
The view 40 meters from those highrises ;-)
Ocean-side living

I think I could live here (and judging by all those YUWPies (Young Urban White Professionals) hopping into cabs at this hour I am unanimous in that ;-)

Taking a Double-Decker BUS back to the hotel wasn't that easy. After being told that the 18 bus would take me where I wanted to go, I watched people line up at the 18P bus right in front of me, while another bus with an 18 on it flapped its doors a few times and then left.  When I was about to board the 18P bus with all
the other people, the smoking bus drivers gave me the Beware! hand signal, which I interpreted as "Don't take that one!"  Turns out all the other people lined up to take the EXPRESS bus downtown, whereas I really wanted the chicken slo-mo bus. Once they pointed out the correct bus again, and this time the driver was aware of the slow German out there and made sure I got on his bus, things went quite smoothly.

Breakfast was good and I had my FIRST DRAGON FRUIT!  It won't be my last one, but I'm in no rush to get to my second one.    'Nough said?

I think I could use another shirt!  The ones I bought at BSX yesterday fit like they are tailor-made for me.  The take away 10 years and 20 pounds;-)  A good enough reason to take the MTR to Mong Kok again!

On my cigarette break before switching to the MTR at Central a realization hits me. Everything in Hong Kong reflects everything else!  Just look at these pictures (and the pictures within them):












Escalator double in Marble walls

Ceilings



















buildings

panels
























Signs, Signs, everywhere are Signs!
I arrive in Mong Kok at 10 am, know exactly where the toilets in McDonald's are, and then discover that stores in Hong Kong do not have any posted opening hours. Time for some sight-seeing in Mong Kok!










Street Market: The stalls haven't even been erected yet ;-(

no comment ;-o


















Green and Quiet in the middle of the busiest district in the world!


Instead of ripping open the sidewalk every time you have to change a cable ;-)


















After all this, I did buy a few more T-shirts at BSX, which finally opened at 11:30! (I knocked at their roll gate at 11:00, and all the staff was there, but they wouldn't open until 11:30). Why? Must be a HK thing ;-)

I only took the MTR back to Kowloon Side Star Ferry Pier and started wandering around.  I discovered Kowloon Park (a MUST SEE!), but this post has been in the making for almost a week now, so Kowloon Park will be a subject of another post.  Main reason is that these pictures below really really should be seen.




sky in glass; me probably somewhere in dolphin; dolphin in water, etc etc
Did I mention reflections before?

















No, I did not loose a few pounds; image processing glitch because I have to twist taking these

Gorgeous, isn't it?
















Trying to crop 2 tourist out of the picture plus most of the constructions cranes ;-(














The ICC, the highest building in Hong Kong.
On the 100th floor there is a viewing gallery, with a restaurant on the 101st floor and a bar on the 102nd floor.  I will only find out about that on the 21st when the top of this building has been enshrouded by clouds for 2 days. If I can't see the top from down here, I won't see the harbour from the top, me thinks, so I am waiting for the clouds to recede to present you with
'A view from the Top' ;-)















I REALLY do NOT like these places or the so-called humans who shop here. Plus, is the temperature of the corridors, which is by air-conditioning lowered down to something like refrigerator temperature, really a sign of
affluence, or should it be seen as something iDumb?  Anyhoo, they DO ALWAYS have easily accessible public washrooms that are fabulously clean ;-)







Time to go home; my feet aren't even talking to me anymore!












No comments:

Post a Comment