Thursday 25 April 2013

Junk! Again! (And the pictures keep getting better ;-)

They say all good things are 3, so I had thought I might as well get myself another ticket for today's sailing of Duk Ling (Should I go again on Saturday? It will be my last chance for quite a while ;-).  As I said before, I'm falling behind posting and that is why you don't know about the 2nd junk cruise yet.

Here are some pictures from close to Pier 9, where Duk Ling leaves from:
Pier 9
HK Maritime Museum, The evil ICC, and someone fishing on Pier 9
Advertisement for an exhibition at HK Maritime Museum

WTF? This ain't my ride! It is a tourist-shuttle conveying Pepsi-guzzling Cruise-Ship passengers


Fortunately it leaves in time for the 'real' thing to arrive ;-)

Ain't she pretty? (I think I'm getting attached to this Duk ;-)

It is Thursday, so I opted for the 5pm sailing from Central again.  The junk can host something like 36 passengers but when the ropes were tied, I counted 3 passengers departing, compared to about 100 that departed the red/yellow tourist thingy earlier. Maybe they should open registration on the internet; at least they might fill the boat. Not that I am complaining; it feels like a private cruise with the 6 passengers that are on my sailing and I can stretch out on the back deck ;-)

Also on the boat is an American woman from Alaska. Another pleasant surprise; she makes a face when I mention the TOURISTS limping off the gaudy red/yellow tourist shuttle earlier. Anyhoo, point of mentioning her: She is in Hong Kong by accident (like the last American I met on the Duck Ling).  Apparently the most direct/cheap flight from Alaska to South Africa includes the trips Alaska-Seattle, Seattle-Vancouver, Vancouver-Hong Kong, Hong Kong - South Africa. When she finds out that I'm from Vancouver, she just gives me this part-joking-part-hateful look and says: "Vancouver? So you had a direct flight to get here, didn't you?".

Of course, you'll have to look at a few pictures. The image processing glitches actually add something this time (and not just a second face ;-).  All those rope pieces floating in empty space very much remind me of my childhood favourite, Salvador Dali!








No, these are actually all slightly different ;-)
  

I had to keep the picture with the decapitated head at bottom left (thanks image processing ;-)




I am being pursued by a steam ship!


I am sitting in my hotel writing this at 8pm, 2 hours after the Duk Ling reached Kowloon Side in warm sunny weather. Right now I can barely see the road 23 floors below because of the pouring rain which I can also hear pounding the probably inch-thick glass panes. As if the lightning isn't enough to tell me that it's nasty outside ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment