Friday 19 April 2013

Excuse me. I like your watch! Is that a Vantage watch? ( or An endearing watch aficionado)

Years ago I rode the Skytrain in Vancouver when I witnessed the following:  A young Chinese guy with a big book on his lap chatting with someone who had his bicycle on the Skytrain. The discussion seemed to focus on bicycles. The cyclist disembarked and I got a better look at the tombstone of a book: It was a book about bicycles. I have had many bikes in my life (just ask Crazy Maggie, my last (and final?) landlady ;-), but I don't think I ever owned a book about them.

Anyhoo, I was buying postcards (4 for HK$10), i.e. ~CDN$ 0.33 each (and they were nice postcards) at a small store at the Hong Kong side Star Ferry pier, when a young Asian guy employed in the store uttered the line in the title. For a moment I was assuming language or confusion issues, like when I thought I was buying a vintage watch, but actually got a nice vintage Vantage watch.  Most of you know that I own quite a few watches by now, but never in my life had I heard of a Vantage watch before.  Maybe now you can understand my surprise when this 'kid' saw from a distance what was on my wrist (A side note on wrist watches that seem to have become 'unfashionable' in Canada:  Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE in Hong Kong and China wears one.) And he didn't notice the turquoise ends, he noticed the actual watch, which here is depicted AFTER my HK watchmaker put in a new crystal, whereas Mr. Aficionado could not notice its make through a badly scratched crystal but had to infer it from the tell-tale wide bezel.


Since I really have more than enough watches and this young man probably does not own a single 'Mad Men' era watch, I am daily fighting with my inner greedy devil about the decision whether I should leave this watch to someone who really would love, appreciate, pamper, and enjoy it. But that would mean another visit to Mr. Watchmaker to get the ends off the watch.
I hope this post will put some biasing pressure on the decision-making process. If this post does not get updated, you'll know that the greedy devil won.

Update:
I bought some more postcards today and Mr Aficionado recognized me even without the watch on my wrist. When asked how he knew so much about watches and Vantage watches in particular, he confirmed my worst suspicions by replying:  "I read books sometimes". Do I have to point out that I haven't read a single watch book all my life?  An then he topped it by trying to be helpful by informing me that one can look up watches on the internet.

'nough said?






No comments:

Post a Comment