Thursday 14 March 2013

In defense of the honour of seagulls (or Nemo lied)

Aside from the 34th floor of the Empire Landmark Hotel, my favourite spot to feed Seagulls is the old Burger King at Main & 1st in Vancouver.  They have actual live real trees in the parking lot! Feeding myself was very much an urgent matter, as my mood was deteriorating rapidly and my stomach was making never before heard noises.  The plan when leaving downtown eastward was to appease my digestive organ with a quick MacDonalds small fries and bacon-cheeseburger for $3.11 including taxes ($3.10 now that the penny died ;-). Coming up Quebec Street someone decided for me that I never should turn left into MacDonalds (Mooooh, yes we cattle), so I was going to do a left-left-right U-turn at Burger King. Then I remembered that their Fish burger is actually edible, which ain't the case for the McD Fish burger. I ended up with small fries and a Whopper for $4.34 including taxes.  The Whopper is a real Burger! Meat, salad, bun.  What had I been thinking going for the McD pseudo-meat cookie called the Bacon-Cheese Burger?  Must remember: Burger King = almost real food!
Anyhoo, I was eating this burger in the Burger King parking lot when I saw a seagull.  I'll always remember how years ago one of these was staring at me through my car sun-roof, with its feet taking up quite a considerable percentage of the glass area. Today I was happy to see just one of them, because on my last visit here, there had been none present and I had already suspected something morbid like a city seagull poison cull.
Seagull was eying me trying to trick me into surrendering one of my french fries, which of course I did, especially after it hopped on my car hood. When the fry had been securely dumped down its gullet, seagull raised its head and emitted what after the movie "Finding Nemo" everyone knows as the supposedly selfish  "Mine, Mine, Mine" call. One minute later my car was surrounded by 15 seagulls. If seagull had kept quiet, it could have eaten the following 7 french fries, but I guess that was not in seagull's nature, only in the imagination of slanderous script writers at Pixar! So: Don't believe everything you see in a movie like I unknowingly did ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment