Tuesday 26 February 2013

Why you should keep the radio on (it might change your life)

It's been almost a year since the times when I lived an unhappy existence on East 10th Ave in Vancouver. Many factors contributed to that unhappiness, and the change was accompanied by weekly new favorite tunes (mostly old ones). And it was possible to predict the changes in my life by paying attention to my changing favorite tunes.

The dreaded Status Quo: Grateful to Bob Dylan and Dave Mathews Band for lyrics and incarnation:

"There must be some way out of here" said the joker to the thief
"There's too much confusion", I can't get no relief
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth. 


Torment: Thanks Donovan!
You've got to pick up every stitch  
You've got to pick up every stitch  
You've got to pick up every stitch  
Mm, must be the season of the witch 
Must be the season of the witch

Thoughts of revenge?: Bob Dylan again! One of the scariest songs ever written
There is no YouTube version. But listening to the original nasal voice acoustic version will change your life!  Old Testament style Justice and why quiet hate is much more dangerous than raging anger.
Edde Vedder comes close: 

But there's a one thing I know 
Though I'm younger than you  
That even Jesus would never  
Forgive what you do

Well let me ask you one question 
Is your money that good?  
Oh will it buy you forgiveness 
Do you think that it could?
 

I think you will find  
When your death takes its toll  
All the money you made  
Will never buy back your soul
 

And I hope that you die  
And your death will come soon I
'll follow your casket 
By the pale afternoon
 

And I'll watch while you're lowered  
Down to your deathbed  
And I'll stand over your grave  
Till I'm sure that you're dead



Deliverance! another Dylan


And while he tossed his shackles in '77, I will 'officially' leave mine behind at his concert in Vienna in October ;-):  Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill


My heart going boom boom boom
"Son," he said "Grab your things,
I've come to take you home." 


So I went from day to day
Tho' my life was in a rut
"Till I thought of what I'd say
Which connection I should cut 


 I will show another me
Today I don't need a replacement
I will tell them what the smile on my face meant

My heart going boom boom boom
"Hey" I said "You can keep my things,
They've come to take me home."


And what's this feeling? Go Go Gadget Gospel by Gnarls Barkley

I'm well on my way
I'm almost everything
And this is my day

I'm free! Look at me! Behold everything I'm allowed to see
Free,! Come and see

I'm free! Look at me!
Freedom in hi-fidelity
Free! come and see


And this one is painful but inevitable:  Going On from Gnarls Barkley (Oh thank for that those two lines)

This is the start of a journey.
And my mind is already gone
And though there are other unknowns
Somehow this doesn’t concern me.  

And you can stand right there if you want
But I’m going on
And I’m prepared to go it alone
I’m going on
To a place in the sun that’s nice and warm
I’m going on 

I want nothing to do with  

May my love lift you up to the place you belong
I’m going on
And I promise I’ll be waiting for you oohoohoo
Don't follow! 


So sad (Capable by KO)

Baby got a little problem with the drugs man
And I tried to stop her, well
But she loves them
But I can't do nothing that, last one man
Her nose keeps on bleeding but it's, but it's
but it's nothing and I
And I won't forget when, when she said

I lick a ring around this L
So that it burns all night
And I pass round that philly so, so
So we can all get high
You see I never knew
I never had a clue that
That you were capable of love
That you were capable of love
So lick a ring around your L,
So that it burns all night
And I pass round that philly so, so
So we can all get high

If baby keep on thinking, wells
she gonna hurt herself
Baby keeps on drinking cause
She lost all her wealth
Yeah,she love that liquor
She wanna have my kids
But this ain't my problem but
Be Jesus says it is
And I won't forget when, when she said

I'm so glad you informed me
Her strong point was never loyalty
B!tch never done shit for me
I had to leave her, and
Well now she's just another story
When we pass around that 40
And she says she's so sorry well I
I don't believe her



Hope Springs Eternal  (Thank you Sheryl Crow for Leaving Las Vegas!)

Life springs eternal
On a gaudy neon street
Not that I care at all


I pour a drink
And I pull the blind
And I wonder what I'll find 


But these days it seems
Nowhere is far enough away
So I'm leaving Las Vegas today


Such a muddy line between
The things you want
And the things you have to do

I'm leaving Las Vegas
And I won't be back
No I won't be back
Not this time





More songs as they happen




No comments:

Post a Comment